Page MenuHomePhabricator

Investigate options for "one site link per item limitation" problem
Open, Needs TriagePublic

Description

Some wikis have multiple pages corresponding to the same concept (and I've tried to document all the cases I know of where we can get multiple valid sitelinks for a single topic at https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/User:Nikki/Permanent_duplicates). Since Wikidata wasn't designed to handle those, we are currently only able to add one of the pages as a sitelink. My understanding is that the developers do not want to allow multiple sitelinks, but that doesn't solve the problem, so in a recent discussion, we tried to find possible compromises and now we'd like feedback from the developers.

The discussion was at https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Contact_the_development_team/Archive/2016/07#One_site_link_per_item_limitation and continues a little bit at https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Contact_the_development_team/Archive/2016/10#One_site_link_per_item_limitation_.28again.29

Event Timeline

Nikki created this task.Dec 5 2016, 10:55 PM
Restricted Application added a subscriber: Aklapper. · View Herald TranscriptDec 5 2016, 10:55 PM
Nikki added a comment.Jul 11 2017, 2:58 PM

It appears that T11360 has added support for setting the language for individual pages. One of the suggestions (first "contact the development team" link, timestamp "06:28, 22 June 2016") was to add support for that and then make it so that Wikidata allows multiple sitelinks as long as each page's language is different.

If something similar could be done for projects (so that Incubator and the 6 affected Wikipedias can correctly mark which project a page belongs to... most wikis would just set it site-wide), perhaps Wikidata could make it possible to allow multiple sitelinks as long as the page's language and project are different. That would cover all the cases I've documented (including Incubator, Beta Wikiversity and Multilingual Wikisource) with the exception of Commons namespaces.

For example, bar:Spruch:Neil Armstrong, despite being on barwiki, would have its project set to Wikiquote, which would distinguish it from bar:Neil Armstrong. Likewise, incubator:Wp/jut/Afrika would have its language set to jut and project set to Wikipedia and that would distinguish it from incubator:Wy/cs/Afrika (which would have its language set to cs and project to Wikivoyage).

Plus, since the page would tell us which project it belongs to, we could display the pages under the correct heading on Wikidata pages and include them for the right project when generating interwiki links (e.g. q:de:Neil Armstrong should have an interwiki link to bar:Spruch:Neil Armstrong).

Aklapper removed Lydia_Pintscher as the assignee of this task.Jun 19 2020, 4:15 PM
Aklapper added a subscriber: Lydia_Pintscher.

This task has been assigned to the same task owner for more than two years. Resetting task assignee due to inactivity, to decrease task cookie-licking and to get a slightly more realistic overview of plans. Please feel free to assign this task to yourself again if you still realistically work or plan to work on this task - it would be welcome!

For tips how to manage individual work in Phabricator (noisy notifications, lists of task, etc.), see https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T228575#6237124 for available options.
(For the records, two emails were sent to assignee addresses before resetting assignees. See T228575 for more info and for potential feedback. Thanks!)