Tabular Data is now available on Wikimedia project. As part of the Q2 goals we want to announce its availability to use in projects.
- @Yurik will write up a technical description of the feature for the discovery-l, wikitech-l and maps-l mailing list
- @CKoerner_WMF will draft a blog post and work with the team and Comms for publishing
Points to cover:
- What is this new feature?
- How do I use it?
- This is arguably a more technical feature, so discuss its use in templates and lua modules
- How is it separate from Wikidata?
- Examples of uses
- An interactive weather history viewer - try selecting ranges at the bottom, switch to Fahrenheit, or mouse over for info. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Yurik/Weather_barchart
- This is a simple historical heatmap: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Yurik/Weather_heatmap
- And the same data shown as a well established enwiki climate table using a lua script: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Yurik/WeatherDemo
- All above pages are generated from a single data page on Commons: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Data:Weather/New_York_City.tab
If the response is strong we might even write up a Village Pump (Technical where available) post to share.
The related Maps Data functionality will be mentioned, but highlighted in a future communication.