We've been working on plans to deal with "so many search options", i.e., the large number of current and potential second-try searches: "did you mean" suggestions and rewrites, interwiki search, language ID + cross-wiki search, quote stripping, wrong keyboard detection, etc.
I've got a wiki page going with background and current best plan: So Many Search Options.
I've been updating it after meetings and working through details. I've been trying not to let it take up too much time, but after a couple of half to full days spent on it, I'm creating the phab ticket I should have created a while back.
While full implementation doesn't need to happen now (just before we deploy any more second-try searches), getting the design done is important, especially as it relates to the API. We want to get that hammered out and share with the Mobile team as soon as possible so that we don't end up with a widely-used API we want to restructure.
Also called: second try search, second try searching, second chance search, second chance searching. (Added for easier finding later.)