Split from the discussion as per @Pginer-WMF comment:
I agree, the "restore default filters" and the trash can are used to get to a clean slate for the user to start again so it makes sense to clear previous highlighting states.
Steps to reproduce:
- A user discards default filters
- Then, the user selects only highlighting for the 'Unregistered' filter
- The user discards 'Unregistered' highlighting via clicking on the 'Highlight results' button - the filter selection is gone along with the highlighting.
- The user clicks on 'Restore default filters' - the filters are restored.
- Clicks on the 'Highlight results' button to apply highlighting to the filters present in the capsule.
Clicking on 'Highlight results' will display previously displayed highlights, and also will 'restore' those filters. So the user will see not only default filters that he specifically requested, but also the added highlighted filters from the previous selection that he forgot to dismiss explicitly.
The UI result will be as in the screenshot - the default filters are displayed along with previously selected highlight for the 'Unregistered' filter.