Re-label the "Save" links to be "Publish" in structured data inline edit links on Wikidata.org
Closed, ResolvedPublic0 Story Points

Restricted Application added a subscriber: Aklapper. · View Herald TranscriptMar 25 2017, 3:39 AM
Elitre moved this task from Backlog to Team radar on the Community-Liaisons board.Sep 8 2017, 4:10 PM

@Lydia_Pintscher, it'd be great it this could be looked at some time soon. All* Wikimedia public wikis now use 'publish' and not 'save'.

@Jdforrester-WMF : you mean this, I assume?


If yes, I see no problem in the change itself, but rather in some (If I remember it right) brittle UI around that link.

Exactly. Also I'm sure there'll be documentation to update etc.

Ladsgroup added a subscriber: Ladsgroup.

I do this

Restricted Application added a project: User-Ladsgroup. · View Herald TranscriptMon, Dec 18, 11:39 PM

I do this

I'm guessing @Lea_Lacroix_WMDE needs to be involved then :)
Should you want to look at previous wording, see https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Editing/Publish for how this was communicated on most wikis; here instead is the message for de.wp.

Change 399236 had a related patch set uploaded (by Ladsgroup; owner: Amir Sarabadani):
[mediawiki/extensions/Wikibase@master] Change label of save edit to publish if wgEditSubmitButtonLabelPublish is true

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/399236

Change 399236 merged by jenkins-bot:
[mediawiki/extensions/Wikibase@master] Change label of save edit to publish if wgEditSubmitButtonLabelPublish is true

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/399236

Change 399409 had a related patch set uploaded (by Thiemo Kreuz (WMDE); owner: Thiemo Kreuz (WMDE)):
[mediawiki/extensions/Wikibase@master] Remove unused …-inprogress messages from $.wikibase.edittoolbar

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/399409

Change 399409 merged by jenkins-bot:
[mediawiki/extensions/Wikibase@master] Remove unused …-inprogress messages from $.wikibase.edittoolbar

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/399409

Lea_Lacroix_WMDE added a comment.EditedThu, Dec 21, 1:26 PM

It will be deployed live on January 3rd. I'll take care of the announcement on December 28th. I expect some negative feedback on this, so we should be extra careful.
Thanks @Elitre for the link to the wording, will be very helpful!

Announcement is done. Deployment is expected on January 3rd.

Ladsgroup moved this task from Incoming to Done on the User-Ladsgroup board.Thu, Dec 28, 11:04 PM

I don't see any feedback in the location you linked, so I'm assuming all's good for tomorrow.

@Elitre Yes, it's good. We'll continue monitoring carefully after the change is deployed, because this is when people will start noticing it.

WMDE-leszek closed this task as Resolved.Tue, Jan 2, 2:43 PM

The change is not displayed on Wikidata.org yet. Did anything happen?

OK, my fault, sorry :)) Everything's fine.

This seems to be creating issues in the UI for languages that require more space:

It looks like this could have been a problem even with the old label? If I change the text to wikibase-save from nl.json, it looks like this:

But perhaps my font setup is different and on your system that used to fit?

Mbch331 added a subscriber: Mbch331.Thu, Jan 4, 5:20 PM

I've tested it too (and didn't need to change nl.json, but only edit the text in the browser inspector)
Current situation:


Old situation:

For my screen the current situation just fits and the old situation had some spare space to the right.

and didn't need to change nl.json, but only edit the text in the browser inspector

that’s what I did as well, I just meant – I don’t speak Dutch, so I had to look up the Dutch translation of “save” in nl.json :)

Button "publish" isn't localized to Russian in Wikidata...

Button "publish" isn't localized to Russian in Wikidata...

It was translated on the 4th of January, so it would be live since last Thursday. The MediaWiki update was rolled back due to issues though.