Page MenuHomePhabricator

Too many errors from the Yandex translation engine (possibly other engines too)
Closed, InvalidPublic

Description

The Yandex-engine is only able to give a first impression of what the translated text should look like, it is not anywhere near an acceptable text. It could be wise to block publishing a text translated with this engine unless it has been altered sufficiently. Not just altered with a keystroke or two, but several words should be moved or otherwise altered. How many such alterations would depend on the size of the text.

Translations between closely related languages by the Apertium engine sometimes creates texts that don't need refinements, so an edit limit needs to depend on both engine and language.

Event Timeline

jeblad created this task.Apr 8 2017, 2:54 PM
Restricted Application added a subscriber: Aklapper. · View Herald TranscriptApr 8 2017, 2:54 PM

I doubt this engine will ever be good enough for nowiki.

Well, its good enough for ukrainian-Russian-Belorus pairs

A quick-fix could be to set change-limits for each language pairs from each translation engine.

Where can I see which Translation engines are used?

jhsoby renamed this task from To much errors from the Yandex-engine (possibly other engines too) to Too many errors from the Yandex translation engine (possibly other engines too).Dec 4 2017, 1:53 PM
jhsoby added a subscriber: jhsoby.
jeblad changed the task status from Open to Stalled.Feb 7 2018, 2:49 PM
jeblad closed this task as Invalid.Feb 7 2018, 7:30 PM

I wrote this as a response to discussions at nowiki about erroneous translations. The local discussions has stopped and there are no consensus.

I was tempted to close this one as invalid, as it is not really actionable, but left it as stalled awaiting further discussions. The discussions have been reemerging several times. I guess I just close it as invalid.