@Xephyr826 will be sharing his experience as a MW contributor and encouraging other tech writers to contribute to the project. There is a big Write the Docs conference (http://www.writethedocs.org/conf/na/2017/) in Portland two weeks later of this event, and we're hoping that this meetup will help us build a strong lead for organizing a documentation day hopefully with the same audience at the venue.
Sharing notes from meeting w/ @Xephyr826 about the meetup agenda we planned/ discussed:
Registration & Outreach
- Add a checkbox field in the form that asks participants if they would like to opt-in to receive emails about events/ programs from WMF in the future // Juan
- Set up WriteTheDocs SF event on Meetup // Juan
- Promote the event through the channels of UC Berkeley extension group and SF college that seem to have experience w/ technical writing // Juan
- Share event details in WMF // Srishti
- First 30 minutes - networking over food/ snacks/ drinks
- Next 30 - 45 minutes - Presentation around What MediaWiki is? The open source side of it, how one could contribute? Why Juan decided to first contribute? // Juan
- Next 15-20 minutes - Someone from WMF sharing our problems w/ documentation, opportunities for tech writers, projects available etc. // Srishti or a WMF member
- Next 30 minutes - People to break out in small groups and work on small easy tasks etc. // Srishti & Juan to facilitate
- Before the event: Prepare a list of projects that are easy enough (receptive, short, & concise, involves re-writing, explore talk pages) for participants to claim during this meetup // Srishti & Juan
- After the event: Send a follow-up email to participants sharing about the agenda for the Portland event mentioned below // Srishti
WriteTheDocs Portland Meetup
A significant number of people coming to SF/WMF meetup will be present at the Portland event.
- Inquire from organizers about the WritingDay of the WriteTheDocs Portland // Srishti
- If the above is a possibility, prepare a list of projects that could be accomplished during this day (e.g. OOJS UI tasks/contact @Prtksxna) //Srishti
- Prepare a list of resources/tools that tech writers could set-up ahead of this meetup // Srishti
- Recruit folks who would be willing to be present on IRC to help answer questions and review edits // Srishti
Inquire about the following: //Srishti
- Bike parking situation in the area
- Could we live-stream the event?
- Capacity of the room