Page MenuHomePhabricator

Two broken gadgets on ta.wikipedia create issues on Special:RecentChanges
Closed, ResolvedPublic

Description

Am able to see the Recent changes before I login, Once I login with my credentials, am seeing blank details for Recent Changes.

I tried to see why it is coming like this, I got the below error.

ReferenceError: hookEvent is not defined

Kindly fix this issue.

Note: I have tried on Chrome and Firefox same error.

Event Timeline

Hi @Dineshkumar!
Please include links to reproduce when reporting problems. I guess this is about https://ta.wikipedia.org/wiki/சிறப்பு:RecentChanges

ReferenceError: hookEvent is not defined

Kindly fix this issue.

The maintainers / admins of ta.wikipedia.org have to fix the issue as the problem is created by code that is on the wiki itself. Hence also removing MediaWiki-General-or-Unknown from this task as no code in MediaWiki fails here.

After I enabled all gadgets on https://ta.wikipedia.org/wiki/சிறப்பு:Preferences#mw-prefsection-gadgets I get the following output when going to https://ta.wikipedia.org/wiki/சிறப்பு:RecentChanges?debug=true :

ReferenceError: hookEvent is not defined[Learn More]  load.php:391:1
ReferenceError: hookEvent is not defined[Learn More]  load.php:320:1

Clicking on the "load.php" links you can see that the problems come from https://ta.wikipedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki:Gadget-Wiktionarylookup.js and https://ta.wikipedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki:Gadget-refToolbar.js which somebody should fix. See the edit history of those pages for potential people.
See https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/ResourceLoader/Legacy_JavaScript#wikibits.js for how to fix.

(My very personal opinion: Copying random code to your wiki (instead of loading it from the place where it is originally located) and then letting that code rot will very likely result in broken things at some point. Like... now.)


If you want to investigate such problems yourself:
Please open your web browser's developer tools. After opening them, please append ?debug=true to the address of the page on which you see the problem, if the address does not already include a ?. (If the address already includes a ?, append &debug=true instead - more information).
If there is a problem or an error with JavaScript it should be printed in the 'console' of the developer tools. Often JavaScript errors are a reason for problems, or a non-existing file called from another file (which can be seen in the 'network' tab).
For more information please see:

Aklapper renamed this task from Recent Changes in Ta.Wikipedia is not available for me, after I login. to Two broken gadgets on ta.wikipedia create issues on Special:RecentChanges.May 5 2017, 8:28 PM
Aklapper triaged this task as Lowest priority.
Aklapper removed Aklapper as the assignee of this task.
Aklapper added a subscriber: Aklapper.

Please do not assign tasks to anybody if that person has not agreed beforehand on being the task assignee. Thanks.

Nirmos added a subscriber: Nirmos.May 5 2017, 9:10 PM

I would happily help tawiki and other projects if given the right to do so: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Steward_requests/Global_permissions#Global_editinterface_for_Nirmos

Krinkle closed this task as Resolved.May 5 2017, 9:59 PM
Krinkle claimed this task.
Krinkle added a subscriber: Krinkle.

ReferenceError: hookEvent is not defined

hookEvent has been disabled for 3 years since 2013.

The "refToolbar" has been broken for at least 3 years. It is enabled by default, but presumably that is only because people don't use it and don't realise that it is still enabled. The initialisation code depends entirely on hookEvent, which has been a no-op since 2013. I've cleared out the unused code and disabled the gadget by default (edit #1992004).

The "Wiktionarylookup" gadget also did not "break" now, it has been broken for 3 years but nobody noticed because the 18 active users that have it enabled, probably forgot about it. They should disable the gadget from their preferences page. But to help them immediately, I've removed the broken code from MediaWiki:Gadget-Wiktionarylookup.js.

Thanks @Krinkle. It's working fine now. I still Wonder how it worked all these days, I never faced these issue in last 3 months at least!

ReferenceError: hookEvent is not defined

hookEvent has been disabled for 3 years since 2013.

The "refToolbar" has been broken for at least 3 years. It is enabled by default, but presumably that is only because people don't use it and don't realise that it is still enabled. The initialisation code depends entirely on hookEvent, which has been a no-op since 2013. I've cleared out the unused code and disabled the gadget by default (edit #1992004).

The "Wiktionarylookup" gadget also did not "break" now, it has been broken for 3 years but nobody noticed because the 18 active users that have it enabled, probably forgot about it. They should disable the gadget from their preferences page. But to help them immediately, I've removed the broken code from MediaWiki:Gadget-Wiktionarylookup.js.