We currently use /api/rest_v1/page/summary/ which returns a plain text extract for display in page previews.
We want a version of the endpoint that returns HTML. For scalability reasons, this needs to be in RESTBase. The new version, v2.0.0, will wrap the existing mediawiki TextExtracts HTML endpoint.
We expect this new endpoint will resolve many of the existing issues e.g. bold highlighting.
New endpoint marked as experimental (So other devs do not start relying on it)This is already the case with the RESTBase summary endpoint.
- The response is the same shape as the page summary API.
- This is so that existing clients don't have to change much to handle it.
- The extract property is present and contains valid HTML.
- The extract can contain li, ol, dl, b, and "mathematical expressions" (.mwe-math-element)
- When a client requests a summary with the v1.1.2 MIME type (or below), we downgrade a v2.0.0 response by stripping the HTML from it