Wikimedia projects other than Wikipedia could benefit from Page Previews, however the formatting for non-enclyclopedic projects and their articles is not optimal. The Readers web team would like to reach out to other projects to understand how Page Previews might benefit them and how they would potentially need project-specific design.
The wikidata community is interested in a specific solution for page previews and have shown interest in releasing the feature as default for all users (logged-out and logged-in). Due to this request, we would like to reach out to other non-wikipedia communities to gauge interest in the feature. Namely:
- is there active interest in the feature
- if yes, would the community be interested in rolling it out as default for all users
We would like to create a specialized solution for wiktionary, but before beginning development, we want to ask the communities what would work best for showing entires from the dictionary.
- Initial attempt at community engagement. https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:CKoerner_(WMF)/Enable_Hovercards_Wiktionary (targets)
However, the feedback was minimal. Future attempts should include visual examples and explain what is technically possible in greater detail.
Other projects (not complete)
Wikivoyage, Wikiquote - these projects would get the normal version of previews (an extract from the first paragraph of the article)
- Reach out to the above-mentioned projects and help navigate the conversation for two weeks. After two weeks, the task will be complete upon making a decision for the rollout strategy based on the feedback.
- Late October-November 2017