(this is summary of a discussion in hewiki: Something strange happened yesterday in the visual editor while teaching students in Be'er Sheva)
How to reproduce:
- (this should be done as a new user)
- Open an arbitrary article, and press "Edit" to enter visualeditor
- Upload file: Insert => Media => Upload ...
- An error message that isn't clear enough will appear "We could not determine whether this file is suitable for Wikimedia Commons..."
- commons community decided (probably for good reasons) to disable crosswiki uploads for new users. see also https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T138273
- Possible solutions:
- Formalize this decision with proper user right checks (see mw.Upload.BookletLayout.prototype.initialize)
- Change the message to instruct the user to upload with UploadWizard