The Namespace filter menu works the same as the main filter panel does--the same rollover, selection, close-menu, etc. behavior. Here are the Namespace-specific specs:
General Namespace menu functions
- When the Namespace menu is open, a colon is displayed in the Search box.
- The menu reproduces all the namespaces in the current namespace menu, in numerical order, with each namespace and its associated talk space displayed next to each other.
- In terns of filtering logic, the entire Namespace menu is one filter "group." This means that as users select more namespaces, they broaden the search, since all Namespace filters relate via an OR.
- In the Active Filter Display Area, Namespace names are prepended by a colon in their respective Namespace tags. E.g., :User talk.
- Users can search for Namespaces by prepending their search with a colon, like so :Article
A "?" icon (help link) leads users to an as yet unwritten Help page on using Namespace filters.[Moved to T167741]
- An "Exclude" button inverts the function, so that if "Article" is selected in Exclude mode, everything but articles are shown. When multiple items are excluded, the logic is Not A OR Not B--everything but A and B (to be crystal clear, items don't have to be both A and B—which is impossible here anyway).
- All Namespace selections must either be in Exclude or Include mode; these modes cannot be mixed. This means that when a user makes the "Exclude selected" button active or inactive, all previous selections will turn to the new mode (and, obviously, all future selections will be in that mode). If the mode is reversed, all selections are also reversed in function and display.
Exclude mode functions & display behavior
When the "Exclude selected" button is pressed, the following happens:
- The button turns blue. The user is now in Exclude mode, and all selections will be Exclude selections.
- The button label changes to "Excluding selected"
- Any currently active namespace filters go into Exclude mode in function and display (see below)
In Exclude mode, when an item is selected, the system shows the following UX behavior
- The word "Excluded" is displayed in the menu in the line of that namespace item.
- The namespace items are greyed-out (to indicate they are not present in the results) while the rest of the namespaces items are shown with the regular white background. That is, the way to emphasize regular and greyed-out items is reversed.
- In the Active Filter Display area, the following formula is prepended to the namespace name in the tag, in boldface, ":not". E.g., ":not Talk"
An example where the talk namespace is selected and reverted is shown below:
The icon for the "Exclude selected" action: