On many Recent Changes Pages, the community has defined a large number of links that display directly under the page name (e.g., Polish). Many of these links are unrelated or only peripherally related to Recent Changes. The bulk of them are used only rarely or never, research shows (T166623 and this document, which collects results from the ticket just cited). To reduce the informational complexity of the RC page and clarify its functionality — while recognizing that these links are useful to some users—we will put the links into a collapsible panel.
- The panel will continue to display the links and other functions more or less as they are laid out now (except inside a box).
- Community members will continue to be able to create and manage links as they do now.
- The default panel state will be closed.
- The panel will, however, remember whatever state the user leaves it in. So, for example, if a user opens the panel and then closes the browser, when she returns to the page, the panel will be open.
Interface / UX
- In the default, closed state, a link at the top of the reads: Other review tools [down arrow]
- A tooltip for the link and the arrow reads: "Expand the links menu."
- Clicking the link expands the panel; the link stays where it is, but the link arrow now points up.
- The tooltip for the link and the arrow now reads: "Collapse the links menu."