African Wikimedia Developers is a project which seeks to start a developer community on the African continent and to encourage more developers to volunteer for the Wikimedia Foundation. Our mission is to create an enabling ecosystem for developers who are willing to learn and build new skills in the open space through volunteering as developers for the Wikimedia Foundation.
Phase 1 of the project starts off in Ghana and Felix is doing the ground work and community engagement. Below is a list of planning activities for the project;
- Create a Meta Page for this project for readers / interested persons to understand what the project is all about. Here is the link to the meta page: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/African_Wikimedia_Developers_Project
- Come up with a program for the event (template) to be used to carry out the training.
- Create social media for the project in order to reach a vast majority of persons. This will make known the project to more users across the internet and the entire continent. Social media such as Facebook, Twitter etc...
- Create mailing list for the project on lists.wikimedia.org to follow up with new and existing developers to build an even more strong community.
- Community engagements to announce and make known of this project to various mailing lists, social media and other forums to create awareness and get people to participate in program. Also, advertising the first event in Ghana.
- Create central notice banner for the first campaign in Ghana. Link is here: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/CentralNotice/Request/African_Wikimedia_Developers_Project. Will mark this as done when request is reviewed.