In user testing, I've seen users discover bookmarks/Saved filters. But no one seems to have discovered the 'Set as default' function of Saved filters. And at least one user expressed confusion about defaults. Users get frustrated when the system does not present as they'd like it to. Some expressed interest in just having all settings persist when they leave the page. That solution is not compatible with our current one (Set default). To make Set defaults succeed, we need to make it more discoverable. Here is my fairly simple proposal for doing that:
Add 'make this my default' to the bookmark action menu
- Clicking the bookmark produces the 'Save current filter settings' menu. The user is invited to enter the new filter's name in a text box.
- Under the text box, we put a checkbox for 'Make this the default'.
- If the user clicks the box, that filter becomes the "Create filter" button becomes the "Create default filter" button, with a pushpin icon.
- When the user clicks the Create default filter button, the filter is saved as the Default in the menu, with the pushpin.
- Maybe more importantly, the user learns about this function. And because she knows it exists, she will almost certainly be able to find it again when she needs it next.