T171894 described the tweaks that would improve the Advanced Filters navigation. However, that ticket covered ony 2 advanced filters. With the addition of Users and Categories filters, this navigation needs to expand. This ticket describes the navigation as it will be in its final state.
Changes to the feature (final state, when all four Advanced menus are available)
- The "Advanced filters" label becomes the "Advanced filters [down arrow icon]" menu/button, .
- Clicking on Advanced filters opens a menu that contains all available options, displayed with icons and names.
- The "Advanced filters" button will follow the standard state changes (e.g., hover, etc.) for "frameless" buttons on OOJS UI.
- The "Advanced filters" button will have a tooltip: "Add advanced filters".
- Two icons continue to be displayed next to the menu, but...
- Which icons are displayed will depend on user behavior: the icons displayed will be those representing the last two filter panels the user has used.
- So, when a user clicks in the dropdown menu to select an Advanced filter set that isn't currently at the top level, that filter's icon takes the place of the second-to-the-last-used icon at the top level. It then persists in that spot when the menu is closed. It remains there as a new, passively set "default."
- Before the user intervenes, default icons will be: Tagged edits and Namespaces.
- The main "Add filters for recent changes" placeholder requires also adjustment for the text to be at the same prominence level as the "advanced" filters is. That implies to use bold font-weight and the same text color.
Layout and typography guidelines are illustrated below: