We will be performing an A/B test on enwiki and dewiki to gauge the performance of the page previews feature, especially in relation to fundraising.
Note that we're removing EventLogging instrumentation sampling from Page Previews in T172291: Launch page previews A/B test on enwiki and dewiki so it's hard to guess at an ideal bucket size from previous sampling rates.
- Launch A/B test (launched on 2:23 PM 28th August 2017)
- Verify bucketing is working (is popupEnabled disabled for 50% of pageLoaded events?)
- Notify DBA and Analytics Engineering when launching, per T172322#3533459
- and keep monitoring EL disk usage ourselves)
- Update the schema talk page to document the new bucketing/sampling regime.
- Launching the A/B test requires the following configuration:
/* ... */ 'wmgUsePopups' => [ 'enwiki' => true, 'dewiki' => true, ], 'wmgPopupsUseBetaFeature' => [ 'enwiki' => false, 'dewiki' => false, ], 'wgPopupsAnonsExperimentalGroupSize' => [ // Read: Enable previews for all anonymous users by default, which is the current behaviour on all wikis except enwiki and dewiki per T162672. 'default' => 0, 'enwiki' => 0.006, 'dewiki' => 0.016, ], 'wgPopupsEventLogging' => [ 'default' => false, 'enwiki' => true, 'dewiki' => true, ], /* ... */
2. Remove the 'wgPopupsAnonsEnabledSamplingRate' and the 'wgPopupsSchemaSamplingRate' entries from InitialiseSettings.php.
@phuedx: Base your work on rOMWC313a2e189f10: pagePreviews: remove invalidated popup sampling rate variables as @Niedzielski has already done this!
- What are the bucket sizes for each group per project?
With the caveat that these numbers are based on peak rates rather than average rates.
- What's the maximum rate of events that we can send?
@Tbayer: Depends on the overall amount of data generated in combination with current disk space concerns, see T172322: Calculate how much Popups events EL databases can host