Property labels missing on some items
Closed, ResolvedPublic

Description

On Q16163148 there are no labels shown for three properties. They have both Dutch and English labels. Cache purge doesn't help.

On Q23548 the label for P2002 is shown, but labels for other properties are missing.

Mbch331 created this task.Aug 8 2017, 10:51 AM
Restricted Application added subscribers: PokestarFan, Aklapper. · View Herald TranscriptAug 8 2017, 10:51 AM
Mbch331 updated the task description. (Show Details)Aug 8 2017, 10:52 AM

Side-effect of T171460, I think something with the cache.

That's a caching problem, you just need to do action=purge on the items you see.

(I did that on the page and the labels started to appear again)

That's not working for me on other items. The affected properties are also not able to be searched.

First thing I tried was a cache purge. Just tried it on https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q23548 and the labels aren't showing up.

Mentioned in SAL (#wikimedia-operations) [2017-08-08T12:20:45Z] <Amir1> start of ladsgroup@terbium:~$ /usr/local/bin/mwscript extensions/Wikidata/extensions/Wikibase/repo/maintenance/rebuildTermSqlIndex.php --wiki wikidatawiki --entity-type=property (T172776)

Yeah, I see it now. It seems some terms where left of in rebuilding wb_terms:

mysql:wikiadmin@db1082 [wikidatawiki]> select * from wb_terms where term_entity_type = 'property' and term_entity_id = 3761 and term_language = 'en' order by term_row_id limit 1;
Empty set (0.00 sec)

I'm rebuilding them again.

It should be okay now, Can you check?

Jarekt added a subscriber: Jarekt.Aug 8 2017, 12:41 PM

The property or item lookup by name does not work anymore. Instance of "human" is not recognized but Instance of "Q5" is. See the image where property "Imported from" is not recognized and P143 is missing a label.

Ladsgroup added a comment.EditedAug 8 2017, 12:48 PM

In every run, it fixes some properties and breaks some other:

mysql:wikiadmin@db1082 [wikidatawiki]> select * from wb_terms where term_entity_type = 'property' and term_entity_id = 3761 and term_language = 'en' order by term_row_id limit 1;
+-------------+----------------+---------------------+------------------+---------------+-------------+-------------------------+-------------------------+-------------+
| term_row_id | term_entity_id | term_full_entity_id | term_entity_type | term_language | term_type   | term_text               | term_search_key         | term_weight |
+-------------+----------------+---------------------+------------------+---------------+-------------+-------------------------+-------------------------+-------------+
|  1243571624 |           3761 | P3761               | property         | en            | description | range of IPv4 addresses | range of ipv4 addresses |       0.016 |
+-------------+----------------+---------------------+------------------+---------------+-------------+-------------------------+-------------------------+-------------+
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

mysql:wikiadmin@db1082 [wikidatawiki]> select * from wb_terms where term_entity_type = 'property' and term_entity_id = 17 and term_language = 'en' order by term_row_id limit 1;
Empty set (0.00 sec)

Fantastic, I'm running it with a flag to be sure it does it properly: 'rebuild-all-terms'. It might take some time and some properties look broken in the mean time, please be patient. I will let you know once it's done and we can test it after that.

Mentioned in SAL (#wikimedia-operations) [2017-08-08T12:49:39Z] <Amir1> start of ladsgroup@terbium:~$ /usr/local/bin/mwscript extensions/Wikidata/extensions/Wikibase/repo/maintenance/rebuildTermSqlIndex.php --wiki wikidatawiki --entity-type=property --rebuild-all-terms (T172776)

Okay, the flag also breaks some other labels, so my suggestion is to do a basic edit on every property that's broken. I already fixed some.

Restricted Application added a project: User-Ladsgroup. · View Herald TranscriptAug 8 2017, 9:07 PM
Ladsgroup triaged this task as High priority.Aug 8 2017, 9:08 PM
Jklamo added a subscriber: Jklamo.Aug 9 2017, 8:18 AM
Esc3300 added a subscriber: Esc3300.Aug 9 2017, 1:44 PM

.. so my suggestion is to do a basic edit on every property that's broken. I already fixed some.

Couldn't we just run a refresh script on the items? You might have hard time getting through all the 33 million items.

No, Not on items, On properties that are not being shown. There are some cases in items too (if label of an item is not shown) just edit those.

If you edit a property, e.g. P31, that doesn't automatically refresh any items that had "P31" as label. Every item needs to be refreshed.

It's frequently seen when a property gets vandalized. Old vandalism often persists in some items even when the edit on the property had been reverted. It's just not as widespread as here.

AFAIK this case is different because the row in wb_terms was lacking so it has some sort of notion to check that every time and not cache it. In several cases that I checked, it fixed the items immediately.

No. it's not what I saw happening. Maybe anything that was edited since the start of this should be purged.

I did a "hard purge" (forcelinkupdate) on all properties, now they all have an English label in the database. But there are also some items with missing labels...

Mentioned in SAL (#wikimedia-operations) [2017-08-16T12:25:53Z] <Amir1> ladsgroup@terbium:~$ time /usr/local/bin/mwscript extensions/Wikidata/extensions/Wikibase/repo/maintenance/rebuildTermSqlIndex.php --wiki testwikidatawiki --entity-type=property (T172776, T171460)

Ladsgroup moved this task from In progress to Done on the User-Ladsgroup board.Aug 19 2017, 12:13 PM

Labels are still missing ..

Labels are still missing ..

Can you mention where they are missing so I can investigate.

I have spotted some missing label yesterday as well. It was label of P452, but all was fixed after page reload.