Tests have shown that the currently used OOjs UI tag widget does not work well in the search use case. Although they have a very pleasing design, and make it clear where a search term starts and ends, users have difficulties understanding how to create them.
Intuitively, most users used a comma to separate search terms when searching. Therefore for now, we will implement the visually less pleasing, but better understandable alternative as described below, at the same time looking for a solution that combines the best aspects of both worlds.
Make all appropriate parts of our search form react to commas as input separators.
- The search boxes have "usage hints" as shown in the mock.
- Search fields where multiple inputs are allowed, display a placeholder text that describes the field's usage regarding separating search terms (see mock). The message is the same for all appropriate search fields
- Pasted content is automatically separated by commas
- When the user clicks "Search", all commas are considered input separators
- When the user expands the search bar again, all items are again separated by comma