Readers Web have run numerous A/B tests for Page Previews and has been reporting their results as part of T182315: Write and publish report on enwiki and dewiki a/b test analysis for page previews and T182314: Analyze results of enwiki and dewiki page previews a/b test.
The bucketing code for A/B testing will likely not be used any more now that the feature is live for all anonymous users on all Wikipedias. The code
- The config option PopupsAnonsExperimentalGroupSize and related code is removed.
- When PopupsEventLogging is enabled it will continue to log events for all users (we don't plan on using this, but a decision still remains about how we might use this again (see T193051)
- The ./getBucket module is removed.
- The corresponding unit tests
- Generic page previews testing should be done on the beta cluster.
- Check both anonymous and a logged in user can opt in and out of page previews with predictable results
Sign off steps
The following should be done as part of the sign off process:
- Record the assets size change by disabling the code.
The asset change was negligible. This sign off step is a bit redundant given we descoped this task to be about the A/B testing code NOT the instrumentation code.
- Schedule SWAT of the config cleanup (https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/431759/)