This task is tracking the Multi-Datacenter program goals for Q2 2017/18 (October to December 2017).
Draft Q2 outcomes and Objectives
- Outcome 1: Our audiences enjoy improved MediaWiki and REST API availability and reduced wiki read-only impact from data center fail-overs.
- Objective 1: MediaWiki support for having read-only “read” requests (GET/HEAD) be routed to other data centers
- Objective 2: Test an active/active deployment for read-only requests of the MediaWiki application platform and REST APIs
- Objective 3: Integrate MediaWiki with dynamic configuration or service discovery, in order to reduce the time required for a master switch from one datacenter to another
- Outcome 2: Backend infrastructure works reliably across data centers.
- Objective 1: Set up a robust multi-data center event & job processing infrastructure, and migrate all job queue use cases: T169937 (Q1), T175212: Services Q2 2017/18 goal: Migrate a subset of jobs to multi-DC enabled event processing infrastructure.
- Objective 2: Full support for serving REST API requests from both core data centers simultaneously