Suggested here. This ticket is to explore options and take a decision.
At the moment, the filter list follow the ID of each namespace: 0 is main, 1 is talk:... which
- does not looks logical.
Other options may be:
Filter by importance
Importance of namespaces is known by experienced users, who can define it. For instance followed by file, template or project or user namespaces, then the rest; or
- It requires to know which namespaces are more important. Prioritize main namespace first would be ok, but not on Commons or Wikisource for instance.
- Define a namespace order by community would require a configuration change to define with each community, which is a significant amount of work to have it done.
- Have a way to know the activity on each namespace, but it may also be pointless for some reasons (Translations: namespace on Mediawiki has a huge number of changes which are language specific).
- Logical and understandable
- Search is a good way to avoid scrolling
- Experienced users would prefer to have the most important/active namespaces first.
- If you don't use search, there is a lot of scrolling to reach the Wiki* namespace, the last of all.
- what would happen on i18n wikis?
- idem if someone has a different input language changed while filtering?