Finding from usability testing conducted in T167129:
The majority of users are more interested offline reading for specific topics, rather than to have the ‘entire Wikipedia’ available (as well as not having storage and/or data to download these larger packs).
Provide a sideloading-only 'bonus feature' version which can benefit users who are already using Kiwix for reading Wikipedia whilst working on long-term solution(s) to serve apt content for New Readers and existing readers.
This ticket tracks tasks TBC for releasing a sideloading-only version of the Offline Library.
Revised Sideloading-only workflow
- From the Explore feed, tap on the overflow menu to go to Settings
- Tap on the switch to enable the "Offline Library" feature
- Return to the Explore feed where the overflow menu should now have the "Offline Library" menu option visible.
- Tap on the Offline Library menu item to see a read-only version of the 'Offline Library' with no article packs (empty state)
- Return to the Offline Library screen after downloading some ZIM files from outside the app. Confirm downloaded packs are now shown in the list. Tap to check menu actions (Share, Delete) on each article pack list item works.
- Go offline and return to the Explore feed.
- Tap on the Manage my Offline Library card in the feed.
- Tap on a pack to view its details screen.
- Tap on the "Main page".
Redline mocks on Zeplin board https://zpl.io/GaRQKKV - under a section titled "Sideloading-only Offline Library flow"
- T179072: Revise how users can access the sideloading-only version of the Offline Library - initial proposal is to create a Setting in the app to give permissions to turn on the Offline Library feature, which will also enable the 'Offline Library' menu item in the feed overflow.
- T179067: Create a read-only version of the Offline Library screen
- T177879: Display storage space and file size in appropriate units
- T179070: Test for error conditions in the sideloading-only version of the Offline Library – thoroughly test the downloading and opening of article packs across different devices (some users encountered unrecoverable errors during usability testing)
- T179071: Identify error messages requiring rewriting for the Offline Library feature – update error messaging to more precisely explain bugs, including a suggested solution if possible rather than the current “An unknown error occurred” text.
- T179069: Add Event logging for the sideloading-only version of the Offline Library – Track errors and usage when offline
- T178165: [SPIKE] Investigate legal requirements for enabling sideloading in the Offline Library
- T179203: Revise onboarding and user education cards in the **sideloading-only** version of the Offline Library
- T179205: Improve format of “Main page” across all article packs
- T179073: [PRODUCT Q] Confirm use of the term "article packs" to refer to ZIM files for the sideloading-only Offline Library