Page MenuHomePhabricator

PageMigration is stopped after importing first item (various wikis)
Closed, ResolvedPublic

Description

With using 'PageMigration' on tne Wikimedia RU wiki - https://ru.wikimedia.org - occured next problem:

  1. Starting migration for https://ru.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Открытая_библиотека/header/en
  1. After importing first item, this process is stopped (I tried twice, sequentially - see https://ru.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Открытая_библиотека/header/en&action=history ). At this time, page 'Special:PageMigration' looks as in progress, button is gray and any controls is locked

These translations was imported manually, but this bug requires investigating (I met it in Meta-wiki also, but it occurs rarely and does not reproduced)

Details

Related Gerrit Patches:
mediawiki/extensions/Translate : masterFix PageMigration save button bug

Event Timeline

Kaganer created this task.Oct 27 2017, 1:37 PM
Restricted Application added a subscriber: Aklapper. · View Herald TranscriptOct 27 2017, 1:37 PM
Kaganer updated the task description. (Show Details)Oct 27 2017, 1:42 PM
Kaganer updated the task description. (Show Details)

Were there any JavaScript errors or HTTP errors?

Kaganer added a comment.EditedNov 1 2017, 5:05 PM

Were there any JavaScript errors or HTTP errors?

No error messages. Only freezing page for long tilme without any effect.

Kaganer added a comment.EditedDec 6 2017, 6:53 PM

Ok, this bug is now occured in the MediaWiki.org.

With importing Manual:Footer/pl.

These same:

  1. first row imported

  1. PageMigration page is frozen:

After some time, this bug is occured in the "Manual:Footer/ru "

How to trace or debug this problem?

Kaganer renamed this task from PageMigration is stopped after importing first item [[wmru:]] to PageMigration is stopped after importing first item (various wikis).Dec 6 2017, 7:53 PM
Goraf added a subscriber: Goraf.Dec 16 2017, 12:36 PM

On my local wiki PageMigration works with Translate 2017.10 and MediaWiki 1.29.2 but with Translate 2017.10 and MediaWiki 1.30.0 it stops after first item with jQuery.Deferred exception as mentioned above

Kaganer added a comment.EditedJan 7 2018, 10:28 PM

Best change after implementation T139463 (ver. 1.31.0-wmf.15) ;)

After pressing "Save" button

nothig any effect in the page:

Completly nothing! This is best change!

PS: Buttons is still frozen, but fields is unlocked:

Completly nothing! This is best change!

Thank you for reporting this bug!

First of all, why did you decide that it is T139463, which introduced the bug? That patch made some changes to input fields text direction on that page, but this does not mean that it also broke saving.

Anyway, I decided to investigate this problem using my local MediaWiki development instance. First of all, I ensured that it really does not work with latest versions of Mediawiki and Translate extension. Then after changing versions I made sure that @Goraf is right: the issue was caused by changes in Mediawiki core, not by changes in Translate extension.

So I started some git bisect-ing in Mediawiki core and found out that this problem occured first after upgrading jQuery (T124742 and https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/322812/ ). And after upgrading jQuery the issue remained unnoticed.

What is needed to fix it is just to find part of Translate Extension which broke after upgrading jQuery and fix it. That's all.

T139463 is not related to this problem.

Goraf added a comment.Jan 8 2018, 12:01 PM

What is needed to fix it is just to find part of Translate Extension which broke after upgrading jQuery and fix it. That's all.

And that part will be Translate\resources\js\jquery.ajaxdispatcher.js

@Phantom42, very thanks for investigation and explanation! Happy New Year!

@Phantom42, very thanks for investigation and explanation! Happy New Year!

No problems! Hope this will be fixed soon! (I may try to work on this if I will have free time available). Happy New Year too!

I decided that I will find the issue and fix it.

Goraf added a comment.Jan 9 2018, 10:31 PM

@Phantom42 I think you could find some clues here:
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T168086#3373575
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T124742#3373541
https://jquery.com/upgrade-guide/3.0/#deferred
https://github.com/jquery/jquery/issues/3060 (comments)

And add that to Translate\resources\js\jquery.ajaxdispatcher.js mentioned before. All I found.

Change 403322 had a related patch set uploaded (by Phantom42; owner: Phantom42):
[mediawiki/extensions/Translate@master] Fix PageMigration save button bug

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/403322

nikitavbv added a comment.EditedJan 9 2018, 11:37 PM

@Goraf thank you for links!

I have just submitted a patch, hopefully it will get reviewed by somebody soon. If something needs fixing / imporving / being done another way - please tell and I will update the patch!

Change 403322 merged by jenkins-bot:
[mediawiki/extensions/Translate@master] Fix PageMigration save button bug

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/403322

Nikerabbit closed this task as Resolved.Jan 19 2018, 6:27 PM

Thank you for merging this! Hopefully we will get some feedback after deployment. If there are any other issues related to this - please tell and I will be happy to fix!

Goraf added a comment.Jan 19 2018, 8:12 PM

@Phantom42 , would be nice to add T139456 to it

@Goraf thank you, I will take a look at it!