Prior to release we will be:
- updating previews to include html
- publishing a report on the feature results
Prior to release we will be:
|Resolved||Dereckson||T68374 Enable Hovercards on se.wikimedia.org (Swedish chapter wiki)|
|Resolved||Jdlrobson||T70860 [GOAL] Graduate Page Previews feature (Popups extension) out of Beta Feature|
|Resolved||ovasileva||T154635 [EPIC] Deploy page previews to English and German Wikipedia|
|Resolved||CKoerner_WMF||T182317 Inform enwiki and dewiki communities of feature improvements to Page Previews, then discuss upcoming feature release|
|Resolved||• Tbayer||T182315 Write and publish report on enwiki and dewiki a/b test analysis for page previews|
inform enwiki and dewiki communities of upcoming page previews deployment
Enwiki already knows about page previews, and had a lengthy discussion rejecting it for the time being... Given that, I would think that any informing of a deployment would go in the other direction, from the community to the developers. Or is this talking about just the addition of some new features to the beta feature, while keeping it in beta?
@Yair_rand - perhaps inform isn't the best wording. The original RfC rejected the feature based on some current bugs that we've since fixed. This announcement will have an update on the fixes and other improvements and double-check that all is in order prior to deployment. If any new concerns have arisen, we'll consider those as well.
@ovasileva @CKoerner_WMF I'm sorry, but your posts are both somewhat ambiguous and I'm having trouble understanding exactly what the plan is. Is the intention to post a summary of the bugs that have been fixed, and then launch a new RfC on whether to enable the feature? Or just post the summary, request some feedback/bug reports, and wait to see if someone there starts an RfC to enable it?
To be clear, the previous discussion (on enwiki) was not closed as consensus for launching as soon as certain bugs are fixed. If a new RfC is launched, there might be consensus in favor, but there certainly isn't an established consensus now.
Hey @Yair_rand I'll try to help clarify. Let me know if there's still confusion. We'd like to update the community on the improvements the team has made in response to concerns, requests, and bugs on Engish Wikipedia and elsewhere. That's the first step. Eventually we'd like to deploy the feature, but we don't want to put the community in a stressful situation by suggesting a date right this minute. We also don't want to put the product teams in a crunch to fix any blockers we might be made aware of after discussing the updates with the community. No plans for an RfC on our end at the moment.
I'll update the task title.
Last week we updated the English and German Wikipedia communities.
We also sent the same message to the technical community mailing list and posted on the talk page of the feature.
Conversation around deployment configuration now happening on Village pump miscellaneous (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Village_pump_(miscellaneous)#Page_Previews), with cross-posts to Village pump proposals (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Village_pump_(proposals)#Page_previews_-_request_for_feedback) and Village pump technical (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Village_pump_(technical)#Page_Previews). I think we can close this task and open a new one for tracking follow-up discussions from these conversations.
Marking as successfully resolved. Communities at both English and German were notified, participated in discussion, and provided feedback on a way forward. Follow up notifications were given for deployment times.