Page MenuHomePhabricator

Africa Wikimedia Developers IRC general meeting #2
Closed, ResolvedPublic

Description

Information regarding upcoming meeting

NOTE: For last meeting and minutes, see here: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T182980.

When: January 12, 2018
Time: 4pm - 5:30pm UTC
Who: Open for anyone to attend
Target: For African Developers in the Wikimedia movement
Hosts: @D3r1ck01, @Flixtey, @Zppix
Where: #wikimedia-dev-africa on Freenode

Meeting Agenda

Meeting Minutes

https://etherpad.wikimedia.org/p/AWMD_IRC-Meeting-2

Meeting Logs

1[15:59:19] Meeting started by d3r1ck
2[15:59:36] Meeting chairs are: d3r1ck, zppix, flixtey
3[16:00:21] <d3r1ck> Hello everyone! The meeting has officially started :)
4[16:00:48] <d3r1ck> You can get the agenda here!
5[16:00:52] LINK: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T183017 [⚓ T183017 Africa Wikimedia Developers IRC general meeting #2]
6[16:01:15] <r054l13> d3r1ck: thanks
7[16:01:53] <africanhope> d3r1ck: hello again
8[16:02:49] <d3r1ck> If there is any new person here, you can just introduce
9[16:03:10] <d3r1ck> africanhope: Where you in the last meeting please? Maybe you can just do a quick intro of yourself? :)
10[16:04:42] <africanhope> sure
11[16:05:38] <africanhope> Hi everyone, I am from Côte d'Ivoire and a founding member of the local board Wikimedia Community User Group Côte d'Ivoire
12[16:06:13] <africanhope> Been editing wikipedia since 2008, focusing on Wikipedia FR since thats my main language
13[16:07:36] <d3r1ck> Thank you very much africanhope![16:07:46] <d3r1ck> Is there anyone here that is new to the AWMD project?
14[16:07:47] <africanhope> Also worked as bot operator on other wiki projects. I am an entrepreneur, teacher and developer in real life.
15[16:08:05] <d3r1ck> Maybe something you don't know about? Start thinking to ask while africanhope finishes his intro :)
16[16:08:25] <d3r1ck> africanhope: Wow, thanks so much for the intro!
17[16:08:40] <africanhope> d3r1ck: Actually I am done, anyone else may go ahead
18[16:08:41] <d3r1ck> Maybe you can drop a link to your user page on meta for further read?
19[16:08:54] <d3r1ck> africanhope: ^
20[16:09:01] <africanhope> sure
21[16:09:01] <africanhope> meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:African_Hope
22[16:09:14] <d3r1ck> Alright!
23[16:09:30] <d3r1ck> In case someone here doesn't know about the project, see here;
24[16:09:35] LINK: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Africa_Wikimedia_Developers_Project [Africa Wikimedia Developers Project - MediaWiki]
25[16:11:20] <d3r1ck> So I move on to the next point in the agenda?
26[16:11:45] <d3r1ck> Discussing & reviewing 2017 AWMD project?
27[16:13:41] <africanhope> d3r1ck: yes, please go ahead
28[16:14:30] <d3r1ck> Here is the link to the leader board
29[16:14:34] LINK: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T169573 [⚓ T169573 Africa Wikimedia Developers Leaderboard Monthly Statistics for the year 2017]
30[16:14:43] <Zppix> Hello :)
31[16:15:00] <d3r1ck> Zppix: Hey!
32[16:15:17] <d3r1ck> So we had 23 patches in the last half of the project submitted!
33[16:15:38] <r054l13> Wow!
34[16:15:39] <d3r1ck> in 2017
35[16:15:54] <r054l13> That's not a bad number :)
36[16:16:35] <d3r1ck> Patches where submitted in July, August, September, October & December
37[16:16:45] <d3r1ck> Wondering why November was empty :)
38[16:17:00] <Zppix> November was crazy :)
39[16:17:16] <d3r1ck> :D
40[16:17:48] <d3r1ck> Looking at the ticket, maybe someone has a question to ask?
41[16:18:23] <Zppix> Anyone have anything to add to the 2017 year review?
42[16:18:58] INFO: 23 patches in previous half of AWMD (2017)
43[16:19:54] <d3r1ck> Also, one thing to note is there are supposed to 3 persons on the leader board each month
44[16:20:10] <d3r1ck> But due to only few people submitting patches, at times it's 2
45[16:20:17] <d3r1ck> So let's maximize the opportunity
46[16:20:20] <Zppix> :(
47[16:20:34] <d3r1ck> And also, I'm not including myself on the leader board, it won't be fiar :) (NOTE)
48[16:20:43] <Zppix> Nor myself
49[16:21:14] <d3r1ck> Zppix: :)
50[16:21:32] INFO: Leaderboard to have 3 persons as much as possible.
51[16:21:53] <africanhope> Well if there is still room for that, I just want to congratulate the whole team behind this. Its remarkable to be able to move from the idea to concrete results such as the patches submited
52[16:22:19] <d3r1ck> africanhope: Yes africanhope, there is always room :)
53[16:22:32] <Zppix> Always room :)
54[16:22:58] <africanhope> great then :)
55[16:23:33] <d3r1ck> Also, I'll like to say that the board hasn't been really active due to GCI I think
56[16:23:59] <d3r1ck> So GCI ends in 3 days and we'll start adding more beginner tasks on the workboard for us to work on :)
57[16:25:18] <d3r1ck> Anything to add concerning the review of 2017?
58[16:26:27] <noela> I just wish to mention that The same names appear on the board every month and It make competition spirit week
59[16:27:07] <noela> Let try to create more awareness
60[16:27:15] <d3r1ck> noela: Okay! So we'll try as much as we can to get more other involved
61[16:27:26] <d3r1ck> Zppix: etherpad here: https://etherpad.wikimedia.org/p/AWMD_IRC-Meeting-2
62[16:27:28] LINK: https://etherpad.wikimedia.org/p/AWMD_IRC-Meeting-2 [Etherpad]
63[16:27:34] <d3r1ck> A little help on documentation?
64[16:28:10] <r054l13> I will do that
65[16:28:11] <africanhope> Documenting the etherpad or anything else?
66[16:28:29] <d3r1ck> africanhope: Yes, help document on Etherpad
67[16:28:36] <d3r1ck> r054l13: Okay! Thanks
68[16:28:45] <africanhope> d3r1ck: roger that.
69[16:29:10] <d3r1ck> noela: Note that we can create as much awareness as we can but can't really force people to contribute right?
70[16:29:24] <d3r1ck> So it's all about trying to motivate people across Africa to contribute, it's a tough problem :)
71[16:30:00] <noela> d3r1ck: yea
72[16:30:12] <d3r1ck> But bit by bit, we're making progress!
73[16:30:31] <d3r1ck> Hoping to see a big wave sweeping across Africa and getting more participants from around Africa to contribute
74[16:31:25] <d3r1ck> Anyone has a question to ask? (next point in the agenda)
75[16:31:28] INFO: Q & A session
76[16:31:31] <r054l13> concerning what noela said
77[16:31:41] <d3r1ck> r054l13: Okay, go ahead
78[16:32:07] <r054l13> Is there anyone planing to present or expose this project at Indaba this year?
79[16:32:50] <r054l13> It can be a good way of creating awareness
80[16:33:21] <d3r1ck> r054l13: Yes, the AWMD team is working on that and in case we get a chance to attend Indaba, we'll make a presentation around the project
81[16:33:26] <d3r1ck> Does that answer your question?
82[16:33:45] <r054l13> Yes thanks
83[16:34:00] <d3r1ck> Okay! great!
84[16:34:04] <d3r1ck> Any other question?
85[16:36:50] <d3r1ck> Seems no question?
86[16:37:08] <d3r1ck> Moving to the next point in the agenda then
87[16:37:11] INFO: Common issues (e.g. What is still holding you back from contributing to Wikimedia tech projects?)
88[16:37:33] <d3r1ck> What then could be holding people back from contributing?
89[16:38:51] <Zppix> Anyone?
90[16:39:21] <d3r1ck> Any ideas?
91[16:40:13] <Zppix> I notice some people are too scared to join, due to learning curve there is... anyone else notice this?
92[16:40:37] <d3r1ck> Zppix: Yes I think that is an issue
93[16:40:39] <Zppix> If so, theres a solution.
94[16:40:46] <d3r1ck> Zppix: Shoot
95[16:41:22] <Zppix> Walk them through it, be around to answer their questions, all in all help them find out what is wrong or whats right
96[16:41:44] <Zppix> Point them to the right direction, dont just tell them the answer
97[16:42:03] <d3r1ck> Zppix: Yes, that sounds great!
98[16:42:06] <africanhope> +1 Zppix
99[16:42:07] <Zppix> That is the best way i know of to help someone find their way here in wikimedia
100[16:42:29] <africanhope> to me this goes even for the selection of the ticket on phabricator
101[16:42:55] <africanhope> I know from my young experience on gerrit that picking a ticket on phab, replicating can be daunting
102[16:42:57] <d3r1ck> africanhope: Yes, I feel you bro! africanhope is a living testimony to Zppix's solution. It works :)
103[16:43:15] <d3r1ck> africanhope: Yes, reproducing a bug without clear steps on phab is an issue :)
104[16:44:00] <africanhope> xtactly, I ran into lot of tickets where I needed to ask to tickets author to describe better the step to reproduce it
105[16:44:01] <Zppix> Finding the right ticket can be tricky sometimes, honestly what you want to work on should be down to, what languages in programming you know, bug description, and difficulty levels.
106[16:44:33] <africanhope> so for a newbie, if there is mentor that can select a ticket in advance and help him/her do the replication
107[16:44:39] <Zppix> africanhope: sadly with open source projects there will be that, asking for more info is the best thing to do
108[16:44:56] <africanhope> at least until the newcomer is experienced enough to do the whole step alone
109[16:46:21] <africanhope> Zppix: yes it's true that discussion is a key aspect in opensource projects
110[16:46:43] <Zppix> africanhope: that can be different depending on their knowledge, most people ive mentored Ive told them how to do it but left it up to them to actually do it. For example in Google Code in a student asked me about SWAT, I told him how to schedule it and where to go for it, but i left him to follow through with it, and it went well, the student was able to have operations deploy his patch with no issues
111[16:47:34] <Zppix> Also for any non-developers feel free to chime in too :)
112[16:48:22] <d3r1ck> :)
113[16:48:36] <d3r1ck> Flame_: Are you around?
114[16:50:38] <Zppix> Any other comments or questions about this topic?
115[16:52:08] <d3r1ck> So moving straight to the next point of the agenda (assuming no comments?)
116[16:52:13] <Zppix> Also i just realized i havent introduced myself to possible newcomers, I am Zppix and as of a few weeks ago I'm officially a volunteer member of AWMD as a mentor to members, and to the project itself
117[16:53:00] <Zppix> I am as many of you know am not from africa, I am american :)
118[16:53:06] <d3r1ck> Zppix: Great! I'm happy to see that your officially in as a mentor, brings us joy!
119[16:53:41] <d3r1ck> Zppix: Africa[0] == America[0]
120[16:53:44] <africanhope> Zppix: It's good to have you on board
121[16:53:53] <d3r1ck> A == A :D
122[16:54:27] <d3r1ck> Africa[n] == America[n]
123[16:54:32] <d3r1ck> a == a :D
124[16:54:40] <Zppix> Anyway, we can move on if we are ready :)
125[16:54:52] <d3r1ck> Sure.
126[16:54:54] INFO: Final Q & A, thoughts, etc
127[16:55:12] <d3r1ck> Final Q & A, thoughts, please let's all feel free to pour our heads here
128[16:56:14] <africanhope> I have one
129[16:56:29] <Zppix> Go ahead
130[16:57:49] <africanhope> Could someone give link or documentation to find and add affordable tickets to the project board on phab? Till now I used to pick tickets alread featured there, never searched for them myself
131[16:58:02] <africanhope> :)
132[16:59:07] <Zppix> africanhope: https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/403766/
133[16:59:08] <Zppix> Oops
134[16:59:16] <Zppix> https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/project/board/169/
135[16:59:25] <d3r1ck> africanhope: A bigger picture, https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Annoying_little_bugs
136[16:59:27] <Zppix> Thats the correct link
137[16:59:33] <d3r1ck> Zppix: Thanks :)
138[16:59:56] LINK: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/project/board/169/ & https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Annoying_little_bugs - good places to find bugs to add to the project [Login]
139[17:00:25] <africanhope> Zppix: thank you
140[17:01:23] <Zppix> No problem
141[17:03:10] <Zppix> Anyone else have anything?
142[17:06:53] <d3r1ck> Seems no more questions?
143[17:07:23] <Zppix> Final call for q&a
144[17:08:59] <Zppix> d3r1ck: i guess were ready for next point
145[17:09:30] <d3r1ck> Zppix: Okay!
146[17:09:33] INFO: Wrap-up. If DevRel is present, ask them to say somethings (please?)
147[17:09:59] <d3r1ck> That's the next point which I think it's not kinda useful since no DelRel persion around
148[17:10:16] <Zppix> Well thank you all for coming feel free to stick around, logs of this meeting and meeting minutes will be posted on the ticket
149[17:10:44] <Zppix> I look forwarding to seeing you all and more the second friday of Feb.
150[17:11:13] <d3r1ck> Thanks very much Zppix, and for the huge energy you put in for fixing our Agenda :)
151[17:11:26] <africanhope> Thank you everyone, take care
152[17:11:36] <Zppix> Sadly, as internet doesnt support snacks, there wont be any for after the meeting :(
153[17:11:37] <d3r1ck> Let's idle around for 15 more mins for the official closing time before the meeting ends
154[17:11:42] <africanhope> ahaha
155[17:11:42] <d3r1ck> Maybe someone will have something to ask :)
156[17:11:52] <d3r1ck> Zppix: :D
157[17:15:18] INFO: https://etherpad.wikimedia.org/p/AWMD_IRC-Meeting-2
158[17:15:21] LINK: https://etherpad.wikimedia.org/p/AWMD_IRC-Meeting-2 [Etherpad]
159[17:15:29] <d3r1ck> If I missed something, someone should please add :)
160[17:17:15] <wikibugs> 10Africa-Wikimedia-Developers, 10Developer-Relations, 10User-Zppix: Africa Wikimedia Developers IRC general meeting #2 - https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T183017#3841210 (10D3r1ck01) Thanks everyone for making out time to attend the meeting. Planning for the next meeting will commence soon and the ticket wi...
161[17:24:24] <d3r1ck> Zppix: Did I miss something in the etherpad?
162[17:28:45] <d3r1ck> Thank you everyone for your time and participation in the meeting! Hoping to see you again next meeting (2nd week of Feb)
163[17:29:04] AGREED: Next meeting will take place, second week of February 2018
164[17:29:14] Meeting ended by d3r1ck, total meeting length 5394 seconds

Event Timeline

Restricted Application added a subscriber: Aklapper. · View Herald Transcript
Zppix moved this task from Backlog to Upcoming Events on the Africa-Wikimedia-Developers board.
Zppix added subscribers: xSavitar, Flixtey.
Zppix moved this task from Backlog to Other on the User-Zppix board.
xSavitar renamed this task from AWMD IRC Meeting #2 to Africa Wikimedia Developers IRC general meeting #2.Dec 15 2017, 6:27 PM
Zppix triaged this task as Medium priority.Dec 16 2017, 4:37 AM

Some ideas:

  • 2017 year in review
  • Welcoming new members officially
  • Introducting ourselves
  • Q &A
  • Common issues that happen to newcomers

Order of Events (Idea not final)

  1. Introducing ourselves
  2. Introducing newcomers to the project
  3. 2017 year review
  4. Q & A
  5. Common issues
  6. Final Q & A
  7. Wrap-up, if devrel is present ask them to say somethings (please?)

Some ideas:

  • 2017 year in review
  • Welcoming new members officially
  • Introducting ourselves
  • Q &A
  • Common issues that happen to newcomers

Order of Events (Idea not final)

  1. Introducing ourselves
  2. Introducing newcomers to the project
  3. 2017 year review
  4. Q & A
  5. Common issues
  6. Final Q & A
  7. Wrap-up, if devrel is present ask them to say somethings (please?)

Thanks for this, will import to the ticket and add some more points.

xSavitar updated the task description. (Show Details)

Thanks everyone for making out time to attend the meeting. Planning for the next meeting will commence soon and the ticket will be added to the AWMD work board. Don't forget to watch :)

Looking forward to see you all in the next meeting :)