Participants, please read/think about/research these, ahead of time:
- Session description:
- In this session we will explore Knowledge as a Service more deeply. What does it mean for Wikimedia's technology? What do we need to build to be set up for sharing our knowledge more in the future and making it easier to re-use, remix and query?
- Session Goals:
- Get an overview of the many different areas that tie into Knowledge as a Service and dive deeper into some of them.
- General information:
- Related position statements:
- Related background reading:
- Community initiatives: Wikidata:Introduction | WikiCite | I4OC | DBpedia | Structured Data on Commons
- Protocols: Schema.org | Open Graph protocol | Custom AMP Caches | Web Annotations | Speech Synthesis Markup Language (SSML) | SPARQL | OpenAPI (Swagger) | International Image Interoperability Framework
- Structured markup guides: Google | Bing | Yandex | Apple | Twitter | Facebook | Pinterest
- Interactive agent developer documentation: Amazon Alexa | Action on Google Assistant | SiriKit | Microsoft Cortana | Slack | iMessage | Facebook Messenger
- Machine intelligence: Project DeepSpeech open source speech-to-text | word2vec auto-summarization | Machine translation article on English Wikipedia | ImageNet Large Scale Visual Recognition Challenge
- Background material: New Voices Synthesis report (July 2017) | Historical cross-wiki search result improvements | Federalism | Federation
- "We will continue to build the partnerships that enable us to develop knowledge we can't create ourselves." (from 2017 Wikimedia Movement Strategy) -- how can outside people/organizations collaborate around the KaaS developments? Would it be a useful start to catalog other projects working in this area (esp. in the open source world) and then reach out to them? Or alternatively to have a unified point of contact (e.g. a Kaas Teahouse) for people to register interest here in a wiki style?
- https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Developer_Summit/2018/Knowledge_as_a_Service (see https://etherpad.wikimedia.org/p/devsummit18-knowledgeasaservice for original notes)
This is one of the 8 Wikimedia Developer Summit 2018 topics.