Participants, please read/think about/research these, ahead of time:
- Session description:
- In this session we will explore what it means to embrace open source software and how we can utilize Wikimedia’s already existing strengths to help the wider Open Source Community as a whole
- Session Goals:
- Formulate the direction and general focus areas to concentrate on to have Wikimedia be a leader in relevant Open Source tools for the wider Open Source community
- Guiding topics
- The WMF should commit to using open source internally even when inconvenient
- The WMF should commit to being truly open source (easy install, good docs, easy to contribute)
- The WMF should commit to encouraging downstream usage of WMF libraries
- The WMF should commit to being involved with upstream projects
- Pre-event questions for discussion
- What tools do we develop that will help the wider Open Source community deliver knowledge to the world? (eg, Language support, etc)
- What aspects of MediaWiki are useful to work both in- and out of the MediaWiki environment, to benefit tool/Wikimedia Cloud developers or wider OSS communities
- How can we keep our software to the same standards we hold other open-source software?
- How can we influence the larger OSS community? (Are there other external tools we should upstream to, or participate in, etc)
- Are there problems/challenges that we are in a position to help solve for ourselves and other OSS communities?
- How can we outreach and market our open source code and tooling
- Can this strategy help in scaling the contributor experience? Allowing more contributors participate in wider-impact tools for the OSS community at large?
- Tools outside mediawiki, i.e cumin, pybal as a standalone tool.
- In which focus area we have a unique value we can lead in (c.f language support, data related tooling,
- Related position statements:
- Related background reading:
- https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Developer_Summit/2018/Embracing_Open_Source_Software (copied from https://etherpad.wikimedia.org/p/devsummit18-embracingopensourcesoftware )
- Add more details to this task description,
- Coordinate any pre-event discussions (here, IRC, email, hangout, etc),
- Outline the plan for discussing this topic at the Developer Summit.
- Optionally, include what it will not try to solve.
- Update this task with summaries of any pre-event discussions.
- Include ways for people not attending to be involved in discussions before the summit and afterwards.
This is one of the 8 Wikimedia Developer Summit 2018 topics.