Translations in progress and not updated for a long time are present in CX database. Resuming these old draft translations are not successful compared to fresh drafts. As the source article change a lot, restoring old translations again it is difficult and sometimes end up as using old source revision as source article. These are suboptimal. There is a chance that the translator may not come back to continue the translation. In that case, the draft translation is preventing from another translator to do the translation of same article (since we don't support collaborative translation).
Also as noted in T183485: Please consider purging/moving the cx_corpora table at x1 , cx_corpora table is growing as more translations happen and its size is becoming a concern.
To address this issue, one suggestion is to remove the entry from cx_translations table and the data from cx_corpora table.
We want to use notifications at different points to let users know what is going on and encourage them to complete their translations. These are the notifications to support:
- T106693: Notify the user on the first incomplete translation
- T89707: Encourage users to publish old inactive unpublished translations After three months (90 days) since the user started a translation, the user is encouraged to continue, and reminded that it will be deleted after a year.
- T184268: Notify the deletion of very old unpublished translation drafts After one year and three months (455 days) since the last activity by the user in a translation, it gets deleted and the user informed.
The diagram below illustrates how these notifications work together:
Some other scripts and tools are needed to properly support this process:
- T189087: Maintenance script for purging old translation drafts that can be run manually by deployers
- T189088: Manual runs of the maintenance script to remove old drafts from CX database
- T189089: Configuration variable in CX for the removal of old translation drafts
- T189091: Cron script to run the script to remove old translation drafts regularly
- T218027: CX drafts purging process sends notifications about articles that were already deleted by the user