In course of rounding up the task T178867: [EPIC] Unify and optimize SVG markup across Foundation products and adding another viewpoint of the optimization impact beyond
- simplifying designers and developers work by
- unifiying SVG markup across products (having the same go-to code for copying and pasting into new products),
- establishing an SVG coding convention and
- providing CI tools to ensure automated feedback/process for optimized code (still ongoing)
we also would like to gather byte over-the-wire saving feedback.
Example of prev.svg of MMV before and after the change:
Before: compression ratio: 232 %, original size: 2080 bytes, gzipped result size: 898 bytes.
After: compression ratio: 204 %, original size: 1080 bytes, gzipped result size: 530 bytes or a 41% reduction.
Possibly interesting numbers would be:
- total savings down the wire of SVGs before/after in our webrequests
- exemplified impact in article namespace on an average mobile page
Monday, 8 January would be exceptional, but unrealistic. We need it set by Thursday, 11 January in order to make it in the official slides