The SDC General team investigates the typical workflows of contributors to Wikimedia Commons; these workflows will change when structured metadata is introduced to Commons.
Workflows of Commons contributions by GLAMs and other external partners are outlined in various tabs of a Google spreadsheet (work in progress):
- Media uploads to Wikimedia Commons
- Data uploads to Wikidata - collection items, objects
- Data uploads to Wikidata - vocabularies
We have also researched elements of these workflows:
Based on this knowledge, we can create more accessible (visual and textual) diagrams to clarify these workflows.
- Designers; internal and external (volunteer and professional) developers who want to understand typical Commons workflows and who want to design/develop for it.
- Community members and people related to Wikimedia movement affiliates who want to understand Commons better, and/or want to clarify it to others, or teach about it.
- Movement partners who want to understand the workflow processes on Wikimedia Commons in order to inform their own contributions to the project