After internal discussions and external requests from the community, we are moving from our IRC channel #wiki-dev-africa to #wikimedia-dev-africa so it properly fits into the Wikimedia IRC channels namespace and also update all wikis and online docs where these former channel features. Below are the steps to be take:
- Create the #wikimedia-dev-africa channel and configure it (prepare it with IRC flags like #wiki-dev-africa).
- Create a redirect from #wiki-dev-africa to #wikimedia-dev-africa (this is so that when someones by mistakenly joins #wiki-dev-africa, the user will be taken straight to the new channel: #wikimedia-dev-africa, with a reason that the old channel has been moved. Also everyone on the #wiki-dev-africa now will be taken to #wikimedia-dev-africa).
- Announce on all our mailing list platform about migration / move from the old channel to the new channel.
- Write and submit patch to attach Wikimedia bots currently on the #wiki-dev-africa channel to the #wikimedia-dev-africa channel and also detach them from the former.
- As per the point directly above, patch merged and deployed to effect changes.
- Finalize by updating all documentation and instances of where #wiki-dev-africa features online (blogs, wikis etc) to have the new channel (you all can help me here too please :D).
- Leave task open for some days for further recheck of online docs and instances of obsolete channel.