The Wikimedia Commons Android app allows users to upload pictures from their Android phone/tablet to Wikimedia Commons. Commons is not only the image repository for Wikipedia, but an independent project that seeks to document the world with photos, videos and recordings.
One-way communication can become boring, so how about a page that shows how the pictures a person has uploaded are being used? The project aims at sharing feedback about uploaded photos, educating people about topic & copyright and adding some sort of gamification to drive engagement.
For this project you will:
- Number of images used in Wikipedia/Wikivoyage/etc articles
- Number of images that have been edited by someone else (including simple description typo fix and categorization)
- Number of images that have been featured or received other kinds of awards
- Received barnstars
- Received thanks if the feature becomes available on Commons
The main goal is to give uploaders an incentive to continue (light gamification), but the statistics could also include some negative statistics too:
- Number of deleted images (must be with a link to the deletion discussion/reason)
- Display tutorial again and implement a quiz, for users who have a high upload revert rate
PS: This task is based on a suggestion by @Nicolas_Raoul. :)
Other potential tasks are discussed on our github issue.
- Android SDK
- Android UI design
- Understanding of RxJava
- Basic knowledge of Wikimedia APIs
Nice to have skills
- Familiarity with Kotlin
- Mentor: @maskaravivek (member, Wikimedia Commons Android app)
- Co-mentor: @josephine_l (project maintainer, Wikimedia Commons Android app). GitHub: misaochan
- Startup guide for new contributors: https://github.com/commons-app/apps-android-commons/wiki/Volunteers-welcome%21
- Talk with us: Hangouts for an invite https://hangouts.google.com/group/j9fB13Dhyqs0aHp02 or ping Vivek Maskara(@maskaravivek) at maskaravivek [at] gmail.com
- Some possible micro-contributions: https://github.com/commons-app/apps-android-commons/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3A%22beginner+friendly%22