- Notifications will be delivered if a user types in [[User:*]] in the edit summary (or a piped link). Templates will not be supported.
- Should support the localized namespace name for the wiki's language (e.g. [[Benutzer:Apples]] in German or [[利用者:Apples]] in Japanese.)
- The contents of the notification (on-wiki and email) should be:
- Icon: Existing Mention icon Echo mention icon.svg
- Text: Username mentioned you in an edit summary on pagename.
- Should use the same pagename detection logic as the existing Mention notification.
- Page name should be bolded.
- First few characters of the edit summary, truncated with an ellipsis so the preview displays on one line.
- Link & person icon to user who mentioned you
- When the on-wiki notification is clicked or the 'View mention' button is clicked in an email, the notification should navigate the user to the diff page of the mention
- Email subject: Username mentioned you on wikiname
- When the 'Mention' notification preference is disabled, the notification should not be delivered, for both on-wiki and email notifications
- Mute list should be respected (e.g. If Apples mutes Bananas, Bananas can link to [[User:Apples]] in an edit summary but Apples will not receive either an on-wiki or email notification.)
- If a user includes more than 5 usernames in an edit summary, only the first 5 users in the list should receive a mention notification. The other usernames should be allowed in the edit summary, but should not trigger mention notifications.
- Purpose of the notification: Let a user know when they have been mentioned in an edit summary.
- Notification name: Edit summary mention
- What triggers notification?: Linking to their username in an edit summary (e.g. Made an edit that [[User:Apples]] and I discussed on the talk page.)
- "Notice" or "Alert"?: Alert
- Notification type (standard, bundled, expandable bundle): Standard
For a single message
- Header: Username mentioned you in an edit summary on pagename.
- Body: First N characters of the edit summary
- Primary link target: Diff page of the edit
- Primary link label (for email display only): View mention
- #1 secondary link target: User page of user who sent Mention
- #1 secondary link label: Username of user who sent Mention
- Icon name: Echo mention icon.svg
- Link to graphic/example: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Echo_mention_icon.svg
Investigation: T184030: Investigation: Ping users from edit summary