We'll need to let people know that this change is coming in advance and give time for feedback.
Proposed Plan (contents may settle during shipping)
- Update is made to Wikipedia.org portal for testing
- Jan's notes are moved to main namespace - https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:JDrewniak_(WMF)/notes/System_font_stack
- Write up a post letting folks know of the change - https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:CKoerner_(WMF)/Font_stack_update
- Send to wikitech-l, wikitech-ambassadors, and Tech News
- Direct folks to the talk page for centralized discussion (feedback, bugs, etc)
- Triage feedback with bug reports where the change is causing problems
- If things go well and when the team is ready to deploy, send a reminder to the change to the same venues as above.
Community feedback received and where appropriate bugs resolved followed by a successful deployment