ReadingLists expects JSON strings for some parameters (for batch write operations) but the handling is implemented purely inside the API module so it does not integrate very well. JSON input will probably become more important in the future, given our increased focus on structured data (or maybe the usecase will be obsoleted by having a REST API in MediaWiki... in any case, worth considering at least) so it would be nice to have framework-level integration for JSON parameters. That would include:
- core support for some means of describing JSON structures (JSON Schema being the obvious choice)
- a JSON parameter type in the API, with the ability to prescribe a schema
- JSON-aware input normalization (e.g. dealing with input strings that contain JSON-encoded non-NFC Unicode sequences)
- schema validation as part of the normal parameter validation of the API
- exposing the schema in the paraminfo API
- maybe exposing the schema to some extent in the help API?
- appropriate controls in ApiSandbox (a text area with JSON validation? JSON schema validation?)