Page MenuHomePhabricator

Avoid tools column to be wider than needed on larger screens
Closed, ResolvedPublic

Description

Currently Content Translation organises the content in three columns of the same width (source, translation and tools) . While source and translation content columns can always benefit from more space, the tools column just needs enough space for the cards to fit comfortably. Making the tools column to stop getting wider when it reaches a certain point can help to make better use of the available space.

For screens wider than 1200px, we don't need the tools column to get wider. At 1200px wide screens, the tools column is 400px wide, and it can remain that way for larger screens too. That is, we want to limit the tools column width to 400px and make sure that the extra room is used by the content columns.

Event Timeline

Pginer-WMF updated the task description. (Show Details)
Pginer-WMF moved this task from Backlog to Priority backlog on the Language-2018-Jan-Mar board.

If this turns out to be complex with "standard" CSS, I think it would be acceptable to use flexbox. +95% of the users supporting flexbox will get the better layour, while the remaining 5% of the users will get three columns of the same size as a fallback until they update their browser.

Change 414680 had a related patch set uploaded (by Petar.petkovic; owner: Petar.petkovic):
[mediawiki/extensions/ContentTranslation@master] Limit tools column width to 400px

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/414680

Change 414680 merged by jenkins-bot:
[mediawiki/extensions/ContentTranslation@master] Limit tools column width to 400px

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/414680

KartikMistry moved this task from QA to Done on the Language-2018-Jan-Mar board.Mar 7 2018, 4:52 AM
Petar.petkovic closed this task as Resolved.Mar 7 2018, 7:18 AM