- As a user, I'd like to discover more files or content made / created by a specific user.
- As a user, I'd like to find specific content without paging through Special:listfiles.
Currently there is no way to distinguish between search results uploaded or created by a specific user. Paging through special:listfiles is not an activity any sane person would do for users with massive uploads, e.g. Special:ListFiles&dir=prev&user=Ruthven. Attempting to view massive new pages by a specific user (special:contribs) will also result in a timeout on a big enough wiki, especially if the namespace parameter is used).
Also, for regular pages, this provides a sensible and easy interface to see and count all (existing) pages created by a user as this would naturally include the matches.
Other Use cases:
- Looking into discussions (Talk pages) participated
- Looking into pages they created with a specific keyword
- Readers looking into interesting pages or media initially created by a specific contributors
- Anti vandalism - looking into pages created / edited by a specific user and containing a specific term.
- Add a new search keyword "author:", e.g. "author:User1"; AND
- Add a new search keyword "contributor:" to list all pages a edited by particular user;
- Possibly make it possible to include more than one author, e.g. "author:User1|user2|..." or alternatively "author:User1 author:User2"
Note: A file page may be created before a file upload (by another user). So there may be a need to distinguish between an uploader and a file page creator.
Task filed on behalf of ia a friendly IP at: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Topic:U7lof232wnk4pgbn