New translation dialog, developed for T111094, has gone several iterations and improvement. However, there are some things that still need polishing around the dialog:
- "Recently edited by you" list doesn't have time constraint to really filter recent edits (T188984). While testing, I was using some German Wikipedia editor's username. That person had one edit on English Wikipedia, back in 2008, which was displayed as recent. This is easy fix, as API accepts time as parameter. We just need to specify what we consider recent.
- Investigate how well redirects are working in search results and "Recently edited by you" list. Quick trial of example explained in T111094#3936783 works. Searching for "solanum lycopersicum" gives two results - Tomato and Solanum lycopersicum. Choosing second opens Tomato page in source column and sets target title to "Solanum lycopersicum".
- While getting items for "Recently edited by you", three most recent edits are fetched from the API. If all three are for same page, only one list item is shown in "Recently edited by you" list. We should try to display three different most recently edited pages.
- Main ticket, T111094, states "If the article is being translated by another user, we can indicate so (especially when we are blocking its creation, although it may be useful even if we do not)". If we decide to surface this information, this feature needs to be implemented.
- Adjust appearing transition T178152
- Show only non-translated pages in "Nearby" list - T186331. Same may apply for "Recently edited by you" - T180650. This can be approached by improving API to support such usecase, or requesting some number of nearby pages (say 5) and langlinks param for target language, which will give us information if article is available in target language. Filtering by non available will do the job.