The Wiki Education Dashboard / Programs & Events Dashboard is a Ruby on Rails + React.js application that helps people organize groups of newcomers to contribute to Wikipedia. It's used by the global Wikipedia Education Program for Wikipedia writing assignments in college and high school classes, the Art + Feminism editathon campaign, and many other thematic in-person and online outreach projects.
Photo / multimedia contribution campaigns are one use for the Dashboard, but its support for tracking media contributions is not very good.
For this project, you will:
- Design and build a new interface for viewing photo uploads, using React.js
- Conduct user research with Wikimedians who organize photo campaigns to identify and prioritize additional improvements.
- Improve the data flow for continually importing new uploads, using Ruby on Rails.
- Evaluate the new features being developed for the Structured Data on Commons project, and integrate them into the Dashboard where it makes sense to do so
- React.js and Redux
- Ruby, and Ruby on Rails
- User interface design
- Set up a development environment: https://github.com/WikiEducationFoundation/WikiEduDashboard/blob/master/docs/setup.md
- Talk with us: email sage [at] wikiedu.org for an invite to our Slack channel, or ping Sage (ragesoss) in #wikimedia-ed on Freenode IRC
- Some possible microcontributions: https://github.com/WikiEducationFoundation/WikiEduDashboard/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3A%22newcomer+friendly%22
- Structured Data on Commons software development roadmap: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Structured_data/Development
- Research on the experience of GLAM contributors to Commons: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Research:Supporting_Commons_contribution_by_GLAM_institutions