We know some things about blocking on Wikimedia sites but don't have any firm data to ground our decision making or understanding. None of the data listed below will lead to a direct decision but rather will inform our decision making as we continue to make changes to how blocks work.
Data to generate
For all wikis right now...
- How many blocks are active right now? (IP + range + user, all wikis, regardless of expiration, regardless of duplication)
Per wiki, how is MediaWiki:Ipboptions used...
- How many wikis have customized MediaWiki:Ipboptions?
- On the wikis that have customized MediaWiki:Ipboption, what is the distribution of the most common block length options? (e.g. 500 wikis have 'indefinite' 500 have '1 day' 300 have '1 week' etc.)
Blocking. Per wiki, over the past 7 days...
- How many blocks were set per hour, on average?
- How many autoblocks are currently active?
- How many blocks are currently active?
- What is the distribution of block lengths?
- What percentage of blocks are for IP address vs. IP range vs. usernames?
- What are the most common block reasons?
- How many blocks toggle 'Prevent this user from editing his own talk page while blocked' to checked (default is unchecked)
Manual unblocking. Per wiki, over the past 7 days...
- Total manual unblocks?
- What are the most common unblock reasons?
- What percentage of user unblocks was by an admin vs. the original blocking admin?
Block modification. Per wiki, over the past 7 days...
- How many blocks were modified per hour, on average? (Determined by seeing that one block is made for a user and another is set before the other block expires.)
- What percentage of block modification was by an admin vs. the original blocking admin?
Could be retrieved by querying the database, logging table, API:Blocks or whatever was used in T180071: Generate report of admins who perform many blocks so we have a list to invite to blocking consultation
Maybe for later:
- What percentage of blocks naturally expire vs. are manually unblocked?
Ticket source code is here: https://github.com/dayllanmaza/wikireplicas-reports