User story [Multilingual reader]
When browsing through the Explore feed...
...I want to choose what cards are shown in each language...
...so that I only see content I’m interested in.
Invision prototype: https://wikimedia.invisionapp.com/share/F4GNQ7VWQXB#/screens/291222779
Redline mocks on Zeplin board - tagged with Multilingual and Customize feed
Interaction flow (QA required )
Pre-conditions: User's device language is English, with Wikipedia app languages set as 1/EN, 2/ZH-HANT, and 3/HE (Hebrew).
- Open the "Customize your feed" screen. Note that all card types are shown in the list, but only cards which have multiple language content are shown with a languages under the card-type list item.
- Tap on the languages under one of these language-dependent cards, "In the news" to bring up a dialog.
- Note that Traditional Chinese is shown unselected and disabled since it is not available in this language. Deselect the English version of "In the news".
- Return to the "Customize your feed" screen and select the language bar for the Trending card. Uncheck ALL the languages in the dialog.
- Return to the "Customize your feed" screen and note that the Trending card now has been toggled off by default since all languages are deselected.
- Re-order the cards so that the “On this day” card is after “Continue reading”.
- Tap on the overflow menu and note the options available should be Restore the default view, show all cards, and Hide all cards. Select to hide all cards.
- Check that all items should now be toggled off.
- Return to the feed, where the empty state should be shown. Tap on the Customize button to return to the customize feed screen.
- Tap on the overflow menu and select to “Restore the default view”.
- Return to the feed, where the default will be to show content for all languages, grouped by card type (i.e., Trending will show 3 times in a row per day, once in EN, then ZH-HANT, then HE.)
Additional testing for QA:
- Overflow items
- Language agnostic cards are not repeated for each language (eg., Continue reading, Because you read, Picture of the day).
- The last feed setting should be restored (e.g., If user selects to view only HE Wikipedia feed cards then leaves the app, the next time they return to the feed, they should still only see HE cards).
Notes on the design
- Customize screen
- Assumes that the system knows the availability of feed content for each Wikipedia language (ie., there is dependency on RI development of a ‘meta’ endpoint that determines availability of endpoints by language) per T191785
- If a user only has 1 language set, language-dependent cards will not be shown with the languages ‘bar’ .
- The dialog to select languages may require scrolling, depending on the number languages set.
- Explore feed - see subtask T192394: Update the Explore feed UI based addition of multilingual customization
Sample view when languages are 1/EN, 2/HE, 3/ZH-HANT