Why are we doing this?
As part of enabling better support for multilingual users, we want to make it as easy as possible for users to add languages already in use on their device to the app by surfacing them as "Suggested" languages.
Show a list of suggested languages when a user
|(a) Installs the app for the first time (T190922)||(b) Goes to add more languages in Settings (T190838)|
- Suggested languages detected will be shown in order of:
- System languages detected
- Keyboard input languages
Location-based languages (using GeoIP)
- Suggested languages list are de-duplicated (for example, if "Traditional Chinese" is a system language, and "Traditional Chinese > Macau" is a keyboard input language, "Traditional Chinese" only shows up once in the the list
- zh.wiki continues to be treated as 2 separate Wikipedia languages split into Traditional (zh-hant) and Simplified (zh-hant)
- Any language that is already on in the list of app languages no longer appears in "Suggested"
- For NEW users, device and keyboard input languages will be added to the app by default.
- Check that 'Suggested languages' are per device language settings