As a normal editor of Wikimedia Commons, I would like to know how many thanks are given.
It could the full list of thanks sorted by day, or a user*daily average, or a daily total average encompassing all users, or something like this.
Context+rules for Google-Code-in-2018 :
Basic SQL skills are needed in this task.
As a normal editor of English Wikipedia (we will work on this wiki, it'll be pretty simple next for who is interested to run this query on other wikis), I would like to know how many thanks are given.
The target is to have a statistic page like this old one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Database_reports/Thanks_usage.
Thanks is a Mediawiki extension that allows one user to send a thanks notification to another.
"Replicas" is the common name for the SQL read-only database servers that allow everybody to run queries against publicly available Wikis datas. The thanks logs can be found in the logging table for each wiki. You can use https://quarry.wmflabs.org/ as a simple web interface to execute queries on replicas.
I've created https://quarry.wmflabs.org/query/29486 as an example to how to use the table.
Here is wanted queries :
- Number of thanks grouped by month
- Top 10 most thanked
- Top 10 who were most thanked
- Top 10 most grateful/thanked pairs
Here is what is wanted step by step.
- Create a Wikipedia account if you haven't one already
- Login into Phabricator (this site) and/or create an account using your Wikipedia one
- Edit the current task description to say that you're working on one of the queries (use "Edit task" at the right and add an "x" cross in the "[ ]" checkbox in the good line)
- Connect to https://quarry.wmflabs.org and fork https://quarry.wmflabs.org/query/29486 (the button is at the right of the title)
- Try to understand what the sample query does, edit and run it until you've the excepted result.
- Add the result table (use "Download > Wikitable" menu in Quarry) to the good section in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Database_reports/Thanks_usage/Reborn
- Finished ! Be sure that you've followed all these steps, then mark it in the GCI interface.