To prepare for the mobile issues work, we will need to setup some feature flagging which separates 2 different treatments for page issues. We will not worry about cached HTML right or FOUC right now, nor will we worry about the new design treatment (tracked in T191303)
In group control or A (which should show for 100% of users by default):
In group B (which should be set to 0):
- Add a feature flag with control, A and B groups. When group control or A is present show the existing design. When group B is present show the page issue without the design treatment
- The client should decide whether to enter group A or B
- It should be possible to enter group B on reading web staging or a local machine, but impossible to enter the group on production.
Do not worry about flash of unstyled contents. The purpose of this task is to get a sense of how much of a problem these are and provide us a space to maintain 2 versions of page issues.
Make use of mediawiki.experiments to take care of the bucketing.
We will bucket across all pages for the time being, but this may change later.
Note: Tilman has asked for all events that we log to parallel those for ReadingWebDepth, thus session id and sampling rate must be consistent for these. This information shouldn't be necessary to complete implementation for this task, but we should bear it in mind in our decision making here.
- Make sure page issues is working correctly on the beta cluster without any visible change from before.
- Ask a developer to help test the A/B test switching and verify that it's possible to load the second treatment.