As part of the transition to Content Translation version 2, there will be a stage where both versions will be available and we want users to be able to easily switch between versions. That would allow users to try the new version as well as go back to the old one if they find something broken in the new one.
We want to support a basic switch that provides:
- Awareness of the version being used. It should be clear for a translator whether they have the new version enabled or disabled.
- Understanding that the selection only affects new translations.
Other tickets can complement this with an invite to make users more willing to try the new version or introduction messaging when opening the new version.
- A "Try the new version" link is shown in the dashboard sidebar.
- An icon is used to communicate the experimental nature of the feature. The icon to use is "chem", the one used for chemical formulas, in this case signaling the feature as experimental.
- Clicking on it, will make CX2 the default for the user. This should be persistent across languages (probably using Global preferences APIs). That is, enabling CX2 should lead the user to the new version even if the user selects a different target language (with the corresponding transition to a different wiki).
- When the user switches to version 2, a bubble notification will be shown (we should use the standard bubble notification, which may differ in its style with respect to the mockup).
- The bubble notification will show for 3 seconds the following message: "The new version is enabled. The new editor will be used by default for your new translations. Previous translations will always open with the editor that started them."
- When version 2 is enabled by default, the "Using the new version" label will be shown instead of the "try the new version" link.
- An "Disable" action will be provided next to the label. Clicking on it will set the default version to CX1 for the user.