Session at the Hackathon 2018, follow up session to T183318 (Growing the MediaWiki Technical Community, Dev Summit 2018).
Location & time: Sala de projectes, 12 pm.
Fixing the recommendation system for tickets on Phabricator that can be picked up by volunteer developers was one of the possible action items that came out of the session Growing the MediaWiki Technical Community at the DevSummit 2018.
Problems with the current system:
- Scope is often unclear - patch-welcome and even sometimes good first task can mean everything, from a small hackathon project to a two years effort for an entire team
- Often the project just doesn't have an owner, and it hasn't been estimated yet
- Tasks can be technically easy, but e.g. would require conversations with the broader communities
- Not clear who to get advice from when working on the task
- Task might be outdated, e.g. another team/person already plans to work on a related project
In this session we would like to discuss the current task recommendation system for both, newcomers and experienced developers (especially: experiences with working on tickets that are tagged with "easy" or "need-volunteer") and gather ideas for improvement.
We will bring a few examples for the usage of "easy"/"need-volunteer" as well as first ideas for improvement to kick off the discussion.
Bring your experiences, bring your ideas :-)