Page MenuHomePhabricator

Search is transcoding apostrophes (%27 to %2527) and ampersands (%26 to %2526) incorrectly
Closed, DuplicatePublic

Description

I've not had this issue until recently. Anytime a word or phrase with an apostrophe or ampersand in the title is searched in the search box, and selected from the drop-down menu, it seems to be transcoding the apostrophe (from the usual %25 to %2527) or ampersand (from the usual %26 to %2526) , thus producing a "Bad title" error.

However, if you click on a link with an apostrophe or ampersand in the title, it works as usual. I'm not sure if something changed or where to make the change.

Example:
A search for "It's an error" shows It's An Error in the dropdown, and upon clicking on it, the following would load:
http://www.mediawiki.org/index.php?title=It%2527s_An_Error

whereas previously it would correctly load:
http://www.mediawiki.org/index.php?title=It%27s_An_Error

Event Timeline

Restricted Application added a subscriber: Aklapper. · View Herald TranscriptMay 22 2018, 6:59 PM
Aklapper changed the task status from Open to Stalled.May 25 2018, 6:01 PM
Aklapper removed subscribers: Kelson, ErrantX.

How is this different from T194320 ?
Which browser and browser version is this about?

A search for "It's an error" shows It's An Error in the dropdown, and upon clicking on it, the following would load:
http://www.mediawiki.org/index.php?title=It%2527s_An_Error

When I enter It's an error" in the search field in the upper right corner on https://www.mediawiki.org the dropdown only offers containing It's an error`. And that brings me to
https://www.mediawiki.org/w/index.php?search=It%27s+an+error&title=Special:Search&go=Go&searchToken=d9uioyb7bd7kjatl1uh2nfcjd

Cannot reproduce with the steps above. Can you please follow https://mediawiki.org/wiki/How_to_report_a_bug and provide clear steps to reproduce?

It's not different, I merged the tasks.

"It's an error" was an example. I am referring to my mediawiki instance. I apologize for not making that clear.
I assumed that someone must know why the URL is transcoding apostrophes and ampersands in a mediawiki instance and how to resolve the issue.

No, the tasks were not merged. If it is not different from T194320, why did you create a duplicate task?

Apologies, I meant to say I closed T194320 (as you can see above) as I took your last response to mean you had no more answers - however I am seeing it still open. I opened this new task to include the info about ampersands as well, but yes it is the same issue as T194320.

Please let me know if you would like me to append T194320 with this new info re: ampersands, close this task, etc - however you'd like me to proceed.

https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T195320#4223163 shows that you closed this very task as a duplicate and then reopened this very task and then merged an unrelated task (which I reverted). T194320 got never closed.

I'm going to close this very task for another time. Please keep information about one specific problem centralized in one single task. Thank you!

Vvjjkkii renamed this task from Search is transcoding apostrophes (%27 to %2527) and ampersands (%26 to %2526) incorrectly to rhcaaaaaaa.Jul 1 2018, 1:09 AM
Vvjjkkii reopened this task as Open.
Vvjjkkii triaged this task as High priority.
Vvjjkkii updated the task description. (Show Details)
Vvjjkkii removed a subscriber: Aklapper.
CommunityTechBot renamed this task from rhcaaaaaaa to Search is transcoding apostrophes (%27 to %2527) and ampersands (%26 to %2526) incorrectly .Jul 2 2018, 3:58 PM
CommunityTechBot closed this task as a duplicate.
CommunityTechBot raised the priority of this task from High to Needs Triage.
CommunityTechBot updated the task description. (Show Details)
CommunityTechBot added a subscriber: Aklapper.