Steps to reproduce:
- Start creating an article in NWE.
- Write a<ref>foo</ref><ref>bar</ref>.
- Switch to visual mode.
- Delete the automatically generated list of references.
- Insert a list of references.
- Edit the first reference to "foofoo".
- Switch to source mode.
a<ref>foofoo</ref><ref>bar</ref> <references />
a<ref>foofoo</ref> <references />
Note that the second reference "bar" got lost. This shouldn't happen. (Note: These are the steps which I actually did in a real edit. There may be a simpler reproduction, so it might be possible to lose a reference even without switching between modes, or during editing an existing article.)