As a Hackathon project, @Dbrant created an initial prototype for adding a Wikitext keyboard for Android devices, which aims to enables users who edit in wikitext to do so more efficiently on their mobile devices (either in-app or in the mobile web browser).
The goal of this study is to gather feedback from existing contributors about the usefulness of this feature in improving the mobile editing experience, identify improvements to the wikitext keyboard design, and finally to gauge overall attitudes of users in regards to editing on mobile devices.
Since the target user is an editor familiar with wikitext, the aim is to conduct testing at Wikimania 2018 where presumably a number of attendees will match the participant requirements.
- Draft study protocol - https://docs.google.com/document/d/11AwO--npZXcOvLFb7nFQJI3lXaEYMZB6Qq2ApCJE56o/
- Prepare an APK ready for testing by Wikimania July 14
- Write up findings
- Download and install the APK (will install as Wikipedia Alpha)
- Enable the keyboard by going to Settings -> System -> Languages and Input -> Virtual Keyboard -> Manage Keyboards ->enable "Wikipedia Alpha" keyboard.
- Once the keyboard is enabled, you can be in any Edit field where the keyboard is shown (preferably when editing articles in the app), and switch to the new keyboard by pressing the Globe button, or long-pressing the space bar (or however you usually switch between keyboard languages).
- Sample things to observe:
- Do users know the shortcut to adding a link?
- How do users undo and redo?
- Do users know how to preview their edit?